thanks Tim, unfortunately rebooting isnt an option at the moment.

Ihave changed the dns servers to use one that is giving me the correct
answer on another system but the same error occurs on this one.
Regarding restarting services, which ones would you suggest?  I have
already done courier-mta and mta-ssl.

Does courier actually use the host command do you know?

thanks

-Matt