Nathan Harris writes:

On 7/8/2016 10:58 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 07/08/2016 06:49 AM, Nathan Harris wrote:
>> Is there anything more
>> sophisticated or a better approach to solving this problem?
> I'd recommend that you not allow authentication on any non-encrypted
> protocols, and that'll only leave log analysis tools like fail2ban as
> options.

Gordon, first let me start with a big thank you for pythonfilter which I
have used for years.  As far as rejecting/disabling smtp authentication,
I was not aware there was a setting for this.

Set ESMTPAUTH and ESMTPAUTH_TLS to an empty string, in the esmtpd configuration file.

Before doing that, copy the current settings to the esmtpd-msa configuration file, its CUSTOM section is for that; so that authenticated smtp is still enabled on port 587.