On Sun, 2016-07-24 at 11:40 +0200, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
> However, the sentence became obviously false after that change.  So I also
> alleviated the duty of a maildir reader by s/moves/may move/.  The sentence
> now
> reads:
>
>     When a maildir reading process finds messages in the /new/ directory it
>     may move them to /cur/
>
> For example, consider rsync building a backup archive of a maildir.  It is
> obviously a maildir reader, clearly not an MUA.  I'd say it shouldn't read
> tmp,
> but I don't think it should move new to cur.  OTOH, MUAs display unread mail
> subjects in bold irrespectively of the directory they're in.  What's the
> purpose of having new and cur, then?

I don't think this is quite correct either. rsync operates at a file
level and should NOT move messages from new to cur. The distinction
should specify that a "mail retrieval agent" operating directly on a
Maildir MUST (not MAY) move files from new to cur. This includes a MUA
operating on a _local_ Maildir, as well as a daemon such as impad or
pop3d, all of which provide a message level interface in the mail
handling stack. rsync doesn't qualify as a "mail retrieval agent".

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "UNIX is user-friendly, it just
FMP Computer Services |       chooses its friends."