Similar to some of the sentiments expressed here, I wrote a post<http://www.dangerouslyawesome.com/2008/05/29/add-equal-parts-business-and-culture-blend-until-smooth/>recently that placed coworking into two categories:
Coworking (community of workers sharing their work-lifestyle with each other. in many cases, this is activity. jelly. events. etc.) Coworking (space - this is a place in which a coworking community can reside, and coworking activity can take place). Either way, I think it's important that whatever deliberation we make in this thread today, tomorrow, or next year, the "definition" will always change. None of these decisions are permanent, and being open to change, adjustment, and experimentation are key for this larger community to co-exist. -Alex On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Riaz Virani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > When you're having a discussion in which semantics are by far the biggest > point of contention, it's a pretty good idea to simply create distinct terms > for each separate part. We could say "coworking" is the act of working > together in a particular way and a "coworking space" is an environment > created to encourage coworking. Coworking spaces can attack that challenge > in a variety of different ways as can the method of coworking to achieve the > same positive end. > > I think that's a reasonably fair compromise. > > Best, > Riaz Virani > Special Projects Coordinator > Affinity Lab > 2451 18th Street NW > Second Floor > Washington, DC 20009 > (W) 202.518.6181 > (C) 678.575.0631 > [EMAIL PROTECTED] > > > On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Nancy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > >> >> Tara, >> >> I think that, indeed, you are attached to the concept and rightly >> so...That's not a bad thing. I use the word "concept" intentionally >> here. While folks could get overly tied up in semantics, I think the >> key here is that you have grown a concept that you have consistently >> been referring to as "coworking" in a new definition of the word. >> After all, the word coworkers certainly doesn't refer to coworkers in >> a "coworking" setting as you and your fellow visionaries have >> developed the concept (I use the term develop intentionally, as well, >> instead of define)... Note that I just used coworking as an >> adjective, a descripive that further defines a noun... >> >> Think about branding for those who took marketing courses or simply >> are into the history of capitalism - don't call a tissue a Kleenex, >> it's a Kleenex tissue... Band-aid was originally a brand name that >> lost it's exclusivity because of its generic use. The amazing thing >> here is that the founders of this concept so wanted to both share the >> concept while being able to put their own personal vision into it, >> they didn't think of their rights to the word "coworking" as a part of >> their new concept. They could have made some whole logo that would >> have further protected their use of that "word" and offered its use to >> folks for a fee. Instead, they chose to share their concept and use >> the term coworking freely and openly, be it noun, verb or adjective, >> as a generic term (in marketing terms) for the concept that several >> changemakers (I like that term, too) have turned into successful >> entities (don't like that word, sounds like a creature from another >> planet!)... Citizen Agency, Indy Hall, Cubes and Crayons. >> >> It seems to me that your definition has been incredibly inclusive. In >> fact, I wouldn't be including it, referring to it in my business plan, >> and as I promote my new business, if your definition wasn't so >> broad... >> >> I suggest that it can be used grammatically in different ways, noun, >> verb, and indeed, my favorite the adjective - thus, ADJECTIVE: "You >> haven't heard of Cubes and Crayons? It's a coworking space that is >> perfect for the professional mom." OR, VERB: "I'm coworking at Citizen >> Hall next week since I'm going to be in town and I hope I will meet >> some of the founders!" OR NOUN: "So, coworking is this cool movement >> whereby folks who are working on their own business or project can get >> out of their jammies, skip the coffee shop, and head to work for the >> day or everyday in a place set up to work around people of like >> values, doing their own thing but working in a really creative, >> supportive environment." >> >> One last comment, and I apologize if I've gone on too long... It is a >> good thing, your solid use of the term - you've coined a new meaning >> which is amazing in this world of cluttered but wonderful new >> concepts. My new business is going to be a.... triple-bottom-line >> enterprise, financially-self-sustaining nonprofit, social enterprise, >> L3C, For Benefit... There are more terms referencing the type of >> business that I plan to start than I can shake a stick at and it is a >> total problem for me... Whatever you call it, my vision, mission, >> objectives, they are all the same. But, my choice of terms could stop >> my worthwhile concept before I can even get it off the ground. You >> guys are on the right track... While the conversation is a good one in >> a self-analytical way, remember that the most important concepts or >> words relate right back to your intentions which relate to your >> values. >> >> I'll stop now! Best to all who embrace the coworking concept! (I could >> call it the coworking movement, but being a mom, the term "movement" >> will forever refer to a bodily function and does not bring to mind a >> pretty picture at all!). >> >> Nancy >> >> >> Social Entrepreneur >> Ipswich, MA >> temp website/blog: >> http://twsblog.wordpress.com/ >> >> >> >> >> > > > > > > > -- -- ----- -- ----- Alex Hillman round(3)media new! ask me about it digital: [EMAIL PROTECTED] visual: www.round3media.com | www.dangerouslyawesome.com local: www.indyhall.org --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Coworking" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

