Hear, hear, Patrick. 

I think the definition of "working + being social" is FAR too generic to 
"define" coworking.  I don't really care if it's a noun, verb, or an 
adjective -- Geoff said it best, that the *spirit* of coworking is 
what's unique and has ultimately drawn us all to this concept and movement.

Coworking is a movement that has taken several forms -- and I've made my 
qualms with some of those forms public. But as long as you are fostering 
and preaching the core values (collaboration, openness, community, 
accessibility, sustainability), I don't care how, where, or why you are 
doing it.

And on that note -- we should probably put those core values on the main 
page of the wiki.  Tara summed them up nicely for the Citizen Space web 
site here: http://citizenspace.us/about/our-philosophy/

I removed most of Patrick's email, and left the two paragraphs that 
really get to the heart of it for me...
Hillary


[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Jelly and Cream Cheese, not being location based were making the act
> of coworking be the community event. The secret sauce is/was the act
> of going there together and working and more. When you have a space,
> you can hold other events, foster community in more ways. Whatever the
> model the fact remains that we are doing more than just working and
> randomly talking with people who are there.
>
> I think making it a verb and trying to make it "individuals working
> and interacting" is reductive, it takes away from what a coworking
> space wants to / should be building; a group, a community. Working
> next to someone and socialising is being a normal human with human
> contact needs. Working together and building something more together
> is coworking. The "place" can be a permanent physical place, it can be
> a place the group swarms to but the ulterior motives are more than
> just socializing because you happen to be next to each other.
>   

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Coworking" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to