Here's one example of the type of targeted marketing I do....

I just got turned down to host a booth at our university's career
fair. Apparently, since I wanted to educate the students about
freelance as a career option and I don't offer any "real jobs" I'm not
a desirable candidate to pay them $150! This spurred a lot of
passionate talk amongst the members and one of the member's interns
said that there is an entrepreneur's club at the university and I
should try to contact them. So, I've just reached out to the organizer
to host the students for a field trip of sorts so they can see real
people working in "real jobs" from a coworking space. Will I get any
members from this? Not directly, but it will likely plant the seed of
information in just the right types of people!

Doing this type of targeted relationship building is how I managed to
grow slowly to 35 members in 9 months with hardly any marketing
budget.

Angel