Hi, Mike,

Her's the truth:  I wouldn't sign on for that agreement.  It's nice of
them to tell you what their problem is, though.  It must be a good
space.

I realize you are not personally calling the shots over there, but I
would gently suggest a rewrite.  Even when I was not writing my
agreements in Dutch (ack, you try writing your agreements in a
language you learned after the age of thirty, it is very good for
paring down superfluous language) I was a great believer in keeping
legal agreements short and clear, with magic lawyer language to a
minimum. I have a whole speech about it (with powerpoint!) but I will
spare you as I left my soapbox at home in the US.

My own individual agreement is one page long.  It says 1) who is
contracting; 2) How long we are contracting for and whether it is
automatically extended or not; 3) what they are getting and 4) what
they are paying for that.  Not everybody has one.

I also have a seperate, two page document which lays out general terms
of use:  what participation in Kamer52 means, rules of operation -- to
wit, you can bring your stuff in or ask us to get stuff if you need
it; no changes to the structure without written permission (this
building is 400 years old and the city takes it amiss if we do
structural things to it); what is insured by me and what is not;
payment in advance; don't be a jerk; no sharing of member info by me
without written permission or a warrant; what happens to your mail/
stuff if you either disappear into the night or fail to pay.  That
kind of stuff.  Everybody has one of those.

If I had resistance to many of the clauses in the contract, I would
take that as a warning sign, nothing in a contract should be
surprising.

Jeannine

On Jun 1, 2:39 am, Michael Nguyen <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi everyone, I'm from The Bourse in New Haven, CT. We've had some questions
> from prospective members about a non-disparagement clause in our member
> agreement, which reads as follows:
>
> *
> *
>
> *114. Non-Disparagement.*
>
> You shall, during and after the participation in and use of the Services,
> refrain from making any statements or comments of a defamatory or
> disparaging nature to any third party regarding The Bourse, or any of The
> Bourse officers, directors, employees, personnel, agents, policies, services
> or products, other than to comply with law.
>
> We've noticed that this is a common clause in many coworking member
> agreements, of which we modeled ours after. I was wondering if anyone in
> this group had any thoughts on why you decided to include/exclude this
> clause. Has anyone else faced similar inquiries or resistance to signing off
> with such a clause in their agreements?
>
> You can view our full membership agreement 
> herehttp://www.boursenewhaven.com/coworking-membership-agreement
>
> *Mike Nguyen*
>
> The Bourse
> 839 Chapel Street
> (203) 980-8202
> (203) 776-5684 (Fax)
>
> http://www.boursenewhaven.com
>
> Sign up for our mailing list:http://eepurl.com/cbPYb
> Follow us on Twitter: @BourseNewHaven<http://www.twitter.com/boursenewhaven>
> Or on Facebook: La
> Bourse<http://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Bourse-Co-Working-New-Haven-Style/16...>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Coworking" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.

Reply via email to