I'm not sure if stinky feet was really the issue. I suspect it's more
of an aesthetic value judgement. But given that we have 300+ members,
I'm not sure we can have members adjust their attire because one
member has a client meeting. So, it's more a question of what the
predominant culture is and what to do if it's not your style. I have
no doubt that for some people, this culture is too loose and they
might consider places that are a bit more focused on conventional
interpretations of professionalism. Which is just fine.

Personally, I think this was handled just fine, especially given the
personality of the host and the rather jovial relationship he has with
many of the members. (I realize that none of you could know this
aspect and can only go from the text.)

Thank you for your thoughts, Liam!

On May 3, 3:16 pm, Liam Gooding <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Hey Don,
>
> Personally, I don't think it's much to ask to not walk around with stinky 
> bare feet and the reply from your host probably alienated your *paying* 
> member with the brick-wall reply. Why not simply say "have you tried speaking 
> to the bare-footed culprit and asked if they can wear some shoes when you 
> know your having a client come around?"
>
> In my opinion, handled poorly and if I had been that member, my next action 
> would have been to cancel my membership and join a different coworking space 
> that's less up itself.
>
> - Liam
>
> On 3 May 2012, at 21:08, [email protected] wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > Thought some of you might get a kick out of today's exchange with one
> > of our members. Anybody have any similar experiences to share?
>
> > So, a member sent this email to our host... (names changed to protect
> > the innocent)
>
> > +++
>
> > Here I am having to be the old lame again BUT
>
> > My clients come into this space and I dont want them to see bare feet.
> > Sandals on men are bad enough.
>
> > Given the number of gear head folks, I will have to live with tee
> > shirts.
>
> > Dont like shorts either on the men. Most of the gals seem to be dpoing
> > ok in this department
>
> > Its still an OFFICE isnt it?
>
> > The simple dress code would be wear what you wear to see clients vs
> > what you wear when your working from home
>
> > +++
>
> > Our host wrote back...
>
> > Yeah, great questions, but unfortunately you won't like the answer.
> > This is NOT an office, in fact, it's designed to run counter to
> > traditional office norms, top to bottom.
>
> > Bicycles in the hall, Xbox, dart boards and TVs, Nerf machine gun
> > wars, afternoon beers, bean bags and umbrellas, an Old Trading Pit for
> > a lounge, jazz with a Van Morrison chaser, bumper of "The Rap", few
> > hours of Mozart concertos . . .  embrace the New Economy, Bob!!  Blow
> > your clients' minds with your hyper-progressive foresight and carefree
> > nonchalance!  Eschew the shoes!
>
> > I know it's not for everyone, but I hope you can adjust and make it
> > work for you. It's really nice having you here.  Maybe you could teach
> > these kids a thing or two about class.
>
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> > "Coworking" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> > [email protected].
> > For more options, visit this group 
> > athttp://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Coworking" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.

Reply via email to