"the returns on well designed spaces is MULTIPLIED by a great community. "

Well, I think the reverse can work as well: the returns of a good community
can be multiplied by a well-designed space.
Just sayin'

:-)


*JEROME CHANG*

*WEST: Santa Monica*
1450 2nd Street (@Broadway) | Santa Monica CA 90401
ph: (310) 526-2255

*CENTRAL: Mid-Wilshire*
5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea) | Los Angeles CA 90036
ph: (323) 330-9505

*EAST: Downtown*
529 S. Broadway, Suite 4000 (@Pershing Square) | Los Angeles CA 90013
ph: (213) 550-2235

[image: <yelp-s.png>] <http://www.yelp.com/biz/blankspaces-los-angeles>[image:
<twitter-bird3-square.png>] <https://twitter.com/BLANKSPACES>[image:
<facebook-logo-square.png>]
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/BLANKSPACES/132257631339>
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/BLANKSPACES/132257631339>[image:
<linkedin-logo-square2.png>]
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/blankspaces?trk=top_nav_home>[image:
<vimeo-s.png>] <http://vimeo.com/blankspaces>

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Alex Hillman <[email protected]
> wrote:

> You can get away with imperfections in the space when the community vibe
> is good. It’s much, much harder to get away with cultural dysfunction (or
> nonexistence) when the space is good.
>
> It’s not debate of if space OR community is valuable or important. Both
> are important.
>
> What’s important is that the returns in *absence* of each other are
> unbalanced.
>
>  Here’s what I’ve observed across LOTS of different
> styles/kinds/scales/breeds of coworking, including “dedicated" coworking
> spaces like what many of us run, but also including some of the bigger
> patterns in how/where people work in other kinds of businesses &
> corporations.
>
> Perfectly designed, beautiful, ergonomic, and inspiring spaces *without *an
> attractive culture are the ones that find themselves weak for new
> membership, weak to retain their members, and very, very difficult to
> sustain without constantly applying pressure.
>
> I’ve seen the lack of community lead to the burnout and closure of a LOT
> of beautiful coworking spaces that people seem to be “impressed" by.
> Meanwhile, the returns on well designed spaces is MULTIPLIED by a great
> community.
>
> Take this out of the context of coworking for a second to see what I mean:
> companies are spending FORTUNES to create beautifully designed spaces to
> inspire their employees to create, collaborate, and be more productive…and
> they expect to get a return on those investments. If a company spends
> hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars on an office, they expect that
> it can generate some multiple of that more in recruitment, retention,
> collaboration, and innovation.
>
> What I’ve learned along the way is that most of these companies design the
> space intentionally, but don’t do anything to design the *culture* of the
> company with the same intent. When the culture and the space design aren’t
> congruent, those hopeful returns are very hard to realize…
>
> When those companies put even a *fraction* of the effort and intention
> into designing the culture of the community as they do the space, the
> results are tremendous.
>
> COMBINE those two efforts, and the results are unparalleled :)
>
> -Alex
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 9:29 AM, Erynn Lyster <[email protected]
> > wrote:
>
>> I know I'm jumping into this discussion late, but just getting to my
>> overflowing in box!
>>
>> I just wanted to respond to the discussion that popped up about the
>> physical "space" itself not being a huge factor when people think about
>> "what makes a good coworking space". I don't speak French, unfortunately,
>> Nicolas, so I can't read what you wrote on the subject, but here at The
>> Commons one of the first things people say that they enjoy about our space
>> is the actual, physical space.
>>
>> We put a lot of effort into making the space feel comfortable,
>> sophisticated and inviting and this has paid off tremendously. I would say
>> that, yes, people choose to work here because they like the vibe and the
>> community but I would argue that one of the factors contributing to the
>> vibe and community is the physical space. It encourages people to talk,
>> lounge and be comfortable.
>>
>> One of the big things that factor into them choosing us above other
>> coworking spaces in town is that they are proud to bring their clients
>> here, that it is comfortable to work in and it really does feel like a home
>> away from home. Our members take great pride in our space - we can tell as
>> they bring their clients on a tour when they come in and talk a lot about
>> the design.
>>
>> I was a member here before I became an owner and I knew when I took over
>> that that was one of the biggest criteria for me - to work in an inspiring,
>> well-designed space. This is something I feel quite passionately about, in
>> fact, and was a huge debate when my brother and I took over the space as he
>> just wanted to put in the least expensive, most utilitarian furniture
>> possible and said no one would care.
>>
>> It may be just sibling rivalry, but I do like the fact that he had to
>> admit a year later that I was right and he was wrong ... ;-)
>>
>> ~Erynn
>>
>> On 2014-09-14, 11:45 AM, Nicolas Bergé wrote:
>>
>> I recently asked the members of Les Satellites "What makes a good
>> coworking space ?". I received different answers, none of them put the
>> "space" as a criteria.
>>>
>>>     I've realized that members are the best to define what coworking is
>> and what coworking is not, even though they only know a few coworking
>> spaces, if not only one. I wrote something here (
>> http://www.les-satellites.com/2014/09/les-personnes-qui-font-du-coworking-ne.html)
>> explaining why members of coworking spaces are not interested by the space
>> criteria (in French).
>> If you can include, Ramon, the members' - your members' - viewpoints on
>> the definition of coworking you wish to show, you'll be better off - we'll
>> all be better off.
>>
>> Nicolas Bergé
>> Les Satellites
>>  --
>> Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
>> ---
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Coworking" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
>> email to [email protected].
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> --
>> Erynn Lyster
>> The Commons Calgary
>> a cowork apothecary
>> www.thecommonscalgary.com(403) 399-1716 (cell) or (403) 452-7938 (office)
>>
>>  --
>> Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
>> ---
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Coworking" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
>> email to [email protected].
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>
>  --
> Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Coworking" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to [email protected].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>

-- 
Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Coworking" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to