Hi all - I just joined this group after searching "small coworking
spaces".

I'm opening my own space (hopefully) in October, and I have no more than
1,050sqft to work with.

Early 2017 and I've bought the second floor of a ~ 167-year-old house in a
smart little town commuting distance to a 1 million strong gov/tech/art
city.

The place was a disaster when I bought it, but it was in THE perfect area;
right dead-centre in a busy confluence.  I put a lot of muscle and
(newly-found) renovation skills to work and turned it into a gem (hardwood,
sliding glass doors, kitchen).  It has a colonial industrial modern-ish
feel.  I'm aiming for a bespoke kind of place - something comfortable,
charming, and inviting.

The 1,050 sqft includes everything - small maintenance/server/storage room,
2-piece washroom, small galley kitchen (fridge, stove, microwave, sink,
dishwasher), 2 small meeting rooms, and a large open area that's 22'x20'.

There is no reception area - the space is entirely automated through
SaltoKS (access control), Uquiti Unifi wifi (networking), and Office R&D
(member relationship management).

>From the website, any prospective member can join a plan and will instantly
be given credentials and a link to a smartphone app.  They log in, push a
big virtual button, and the doors unlock for them.  The outside door is
shared with another business, my entrance door is mine alone.

They can also have a key fob (with a deposit) to access the space.  there
are 24 small lockers (1'x1.5'x1.5') that members can use (don't think I'll
charge for that, yet).

Temperature is web-enabled and automated, and I'll have a low-profile CCTV
system monitoring the space for my members' safety.

I never have to be in the space for it to run - cleaners will be in daily
at ~10pm.

I toiled a bit over how-much-space-does-a-member-need.  To a great degree,
I'm winging it - I've had custom furniture made for the space (from India,
industrial-style leather, wood, and iron).  This arrives next week and I'm
literally going to put the furniture into the space, move it around until I
like the arrangement, then open the doors.  I'm perfectly game to make
adjustments to suit what the members need and want.

I'll be using the space myself 2-3 days per week, which is why I did this
in the first place:  My home office had left me feeling lonely and without
fidelity-to-purpose.  I looked around for a coworking/collaboration space
of any kind, and there were none.  So, I built one.

My marketing so far has been textbook organic - word is spreading by good
ole fashioned word-of-mouth and my professional encounters.

My short-term plan is to get the space paying for itself by attracting
like-minded people from the immediate area - this is a smart little ville,
there's plenty of smarts nearby.

A well-known docu/filmmaker that I came to be friends with after buying my
place has expressed real interest in being semi-regular bringing a few
people with him.  A friend who is an executive at a national arts facility
has asked to be able to hold their 3-4 retreats per year here (and I been
granted bragging rights!).

My only real mental barrier is on pricing - amount, type, etc.

I should be able to arrange 4-5 3'x6' tables with 4 task chairs each (16-20
seats), another 10 seats on 2 couches and 6 club chairs.  Somewhere between
26 and 30 seats, packed - that's full to the brim.  I'm using 25 as the
magic capacity number and only a modest leverage of 20% against chance
vacancies, meaning I could sell 30 memberships.

I don't want to be considering dedicated desks at this point, because there
are occasions where I will rent the entire space for events and special
training sessions.

I'm thinking of:

   - Hours of 6am to 10pm, 7 days
   - Full-time membership, open hours for ~C$300/month
   - Part-time, 72 hours per month for ~C200
   - Evenings and weekends, 5pm-10pm m-f, 6am-10pm s&s $150
   - Weekends only, 6am-10pm Saturday and Sunday $100
   - Per day, any day $35
   - Rent the space for a day, ~C$1,500 (it's very well-appointed)

I'll try and stay in touch here with how things progress.

Pardon the long post, but I thought this would be a good place to blurt
that all out.  :-)

Cheers,
Trevor