How have you been building your community? Is it via a Meetup? If so, then
you don't have their actual email addresses yet (yes your messages do go
directly to their email inboxes, but Meetup will not give you their email
addresses per se). So have a sign-in list ready asking people for their
email addresses if you don't have them already.

One of the first questions to ask *yourself* is, how much do you want the
community setting the culture vs *you *setting the culture? If you want to
set the culture, then don't ask the group about such things.

Culture can be things like:

- Casual dress or business casual

- Communal fridge or not

- Quiet space (where normal conversations but no phone calls are allowed),
or are phone calls in the shared space ok? Phone calls get loud, and some
people tend to talk really loud in cell phone conversations and video chats
(I'm not sure why but some people feel they need to raise their voice
during these conversations and they seem to do so unconsciously). They are
so loud that even when doing so in a meeting room with the door closed, the
sound will still travel throughout the space (and this may serve as a note
to think upon when building your space out, how soundproofed do you want
your meeting rooms/private offices/phone booths to be...)

 - Background music or no background music? If yes, then a more neutral
ambient music, or louder style like wework spaces in big cities? (super
obnoxious imho). This is a sticky topic because all kinds of people will
want different kinds of music and you'll probably never get an agreement,
so I would not leave this up to the group and instead be draconian and
don't even bring it up, just choose a ''safe'' neutral ambient music, there
are plenty of free ambient channels streaming online, or just pay for
pandora or spotify or what not...

- Do people want one of those snack services, or fridges that come
pre-stocked with snacks? If so, then that means adding those charges to
their membership fees.

- Free printing *within reason* (add basic charges to each member's fees),
or a pay per copy fee for the printer?

- Seafood or no seafood allowed in the microwave? (gets really stinky, we
had to establish a no-seafood-in-the-nuker rule at our space)

- Gender neutral bathrooms or not? We have 2 and anyone can use one or the
other. No special signs needed, just indicate ''bathroom'' on each door. We
tell everyone in their initial tour ''here are the bathrooms, use either
one''. Keeps it simple yet accommodating to all.

 - Do you want your phone booths to be on a booking-only basis, or first
come first serve? If the latter, make sure you establish a ''no camping
out'' rule for your phone booths (i.e. as soon as people are done with
their phone call or video chat, get out).

These are just a few of the things that you may *or may not *want to ask
your group about.

Alejandro Moreno S. <alejandro@venturepad.works>
Cofounder/VP VenturePad <http://venturepad.works>
SEC Marin <http://greenmarin.biz> Organizer