On Sun, 31 Dec 2017, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 06:58:48 +0100
From: Ask Bjørn Hansen <a...@perl.org>
To: Henk P. Penning <penn...@uu.nl>
Cc: cpan-workers <cpan-workers@perl.org>
Subject: Re: sponsor logo on home of CPAN mirror

Rather than having it execute javascript that’s locally modified,
maybe we could have it just load some JSON?

I know that the mirror can technically change anything, so this is not
really a technical argument.

I think it’s important to maintain a stance that it’s unacceptable to
change anything (other than this…). Changing a bit of meta data (a
JSON file) seems less slippery slope than changing a bit of website
code.

  The idea is that the mirror-operator may add a directory /local/
  and exclude it in the rsync : --exclude /local/.
  That would be the ONLY change that is allowed ; no EXCEPT.
  If applicable, an operator is also required to
  exclude /local/ in his/her rsyncd.conf.

  I think that is a little cleaner than the current rule
  that says that an operator may change /index.html :

     You are not allowed to alter any file
     in you public mirror of CPAN
     EXCEPT
     that you can add a short acknowledgement for example
     for your hosting company, company, university, or sponsor,
     into this CPAN top-level index.html by adding a small
     non-animated image and a hyperlink pointing to your organization
     with text like "hosted by", "powered by", or "sponsored by",
     by placing it visually next to the "CPAN master site hosted by YellowBot"
     acknowledgement at the bottom of the page.
     The image used may not be larger than the one used for the YellowBot logo.
         (Technical sidenote: if you do add an acknowledgement link,
         please do think of the consequences to your possible downstream
         CPAN mirrors.)
     Altering this index.html in any other way is not allowed.
     Altering any other files is not allowed.

  I don't see how such a change can be kept local ;
  how can it /not/ propagate to downstream mirrors?

Ask

  Regards,

  Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof MG-403    _/ \_
Leuvenlaan 4, 3584CE Utrecht, NL          F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penn...@uu.nl     \_/