On Sun, 31 Dec 2017, Elaine Ashton wrote:

Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 15:58:37 +0100
From: Elaine Ashton <eash...@mac.com>
To: Henk P. Penning <penn...@uu.nl>
Cc: Elaine -HFB- Ashton <eash...@mac.com>, Robert <rob...@perl.org>,
    Ask Bjørn Hansen <a...@perl.org>, cpan-workers <cpan-workers@perl.org>
Subject: Re: sponsor logo on home of CPAN mirror

      On Dec 31, 2017, at 2:37 PM, Henk P. Penning <penn...@uu.nl>
      wrote:

 I agree ; I just don't like the current rules, which suggest users
 tamper with "/index.html". I want clean rules and a clean method
 when dealing with (prospective) mirrors.

I’m starting to feel like an old lady as, though I railed at the first
advertisers on the web over 30 years ago, knowing even then that they would
eventually pervade every website, I’d like to think that some sites should
remain above what may be viewed as the inevitable, but which I continue to
hope can remain ad-free without going down what Robert referred to as ‘a
slippery slope.’

  I don't understand the "slippery slope".
   Where is the "slope", and why is it "slippery" ?
  -- the "how to add a sponsor logo/link" has been around for years
  -- CPAN's home-page already uses javascript
  How is adding 1 javascript function and 1 empty <span> a problem?
  How is it worse than suggesting to users to tinker with /index.html?

The number of mirrors is less of a concern than the quality and duration of
service thereof. Perhaps a short google forms-ish survey could be circulated
to the mirrors to determine what is causing them to rethink their mirroring
service to CPAN? What about a Perl.org page featuring the logos of all the
mirrors who wish to be represented? Just an idea or two as, though I know
I’m a fossil at this point, I hope that the mirrors can remain as
indistinguishable from the master and without advertising as long as
possible.

  I don't think we're talking about "advertising" here ;
  it is about thanking contributors ; as we do with
  Phyber and Fastly ; there is nothing wrong with that.

            -=]) elaine ashton // eash...@mac.com // HFB ([=-

  Regards,

  Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof MG-403    _/ \_
Leuvenlaan 4, 3584CE Utrecht, NL          F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penn...@uu.nl     \_/