On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:02:06 -0500 (EST)
Jerrold Leichter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> However, this advantage is there only because there are so few smart cards,
> and so few smart card enabled applications, around.

It is not really true that there are so few smartcards. Almost every
mobile phone contains one (the SIM module is a smartcard).

Also the situation in Europe is quite different from the USA.
Electronic purses on smart cards are pretty common here, especially in
France and the Netherlands, where most adults have at least one.

But it is true that there are only very few smart card enabled
applications.  I have worked on several projects for multifunctional
use of these smart cards and almost all of them were complete failures.

Ernst Lippe