If they could read the license plates reliably, then they wouldn't
need the EZ Pass at all.  They can't.  It takes human effort, which is
in short supply.

The toll road that began operating here in Israel seems able to read your license plate number, without even requiring cars to slow down (and they definitely _don't_ slow down...).

So I think this observation about EZ Pass is probably true, but for some time ago; with current technology, reading license plates is possible (which, I guess, has some alarming privacy implications...).

Best regards,

Amir Herzberg
Associate Professor, Computer Science Dept., Bar Ilan University
http://amirherzberg.com (information and lectures in cryptography & security)
begin:vcard
fn:Amir  Herzberg
n:Herzberg;Amir
org:Bar Ilan University;Computer Science
adr:;;;Ramat Gan ;;52900;Israel
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Associate Professor
tel;work:+972-3-531-8863