At 22:09  -0500 2006/03/22, John Denker wrote:
Aram Perez wrote:

* Can you add or increase entropy?

Shuffling a deck of cards increases the entropy of the deck.

As a minor nit, shuffling *in an unpredictable manner* adds entropy, because there is extra randomness being brought into the process. If I was one of those people who can do a perfect riffle shuffle, reordering the cards in this entirely predictable manner does not increase or decrease the existing entropy.

So in one sense, the answer is a simple "no"... nothing you can do to a passphrase can increase its (that is, the passphrase's) entropy. You can add randomness from another source, and increase the total entropy, but I don't think that is relevant to the original question.

Greg.