On Wednesday,2009-08-19, at 10:05 , Jack Lloyd wrote:

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 09:28:45AM -0600, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:

[*] Linus Torvalds got the idea of a Cryptographic Hash Function Directed Acyclic Graph structure from an earlier distributed revision control tool named Monotone.

OT trivia: The idea actually predates either monotone or git; opencm (http://opencm.org/docs.html) was using a similiar technique for VCS access control a year or two prior to monotone's first release.

Note that I didn't say Monotone invented it. :-) Graydon Hoare of Monotone got the idea from a friend of his who, as far as we know, came up with it independently. I personally got it from Eric Hughes who came up with it independently. I think OpenCM got it from the Xanadu project who came up with it independently. :-)

Regards,

Zooko