On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:56:06AM +0200, Alfonso De Gregorio wrote:

> I'd better rephrase it in: expectation to have "money backed by
> bitcoins" exhibiting all the desirable properties of a perfect
> currency (ie, stable money) are greatly exaggerated.

The question is not whether it's perfect, but whether it's good enough.

BTC is basically a global version of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_currency
or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_currency and hence
isn't something completely new.

It would be intesting to see whether BTC's successors
could improve the scheme, by allowing a (subexponential)
growth, built-in devaluation to encourage circulation and
discourage hoarding (this would be probably hard to
do), and so on.