coderman <coder...@gmail.com> writes:
>On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM, Marsh Ray <ma...@extendedsubset.com> wrote:
>> Right, 500 MB/s of random numbers out to be enough for anybody.
>
>these rates often are not useful. even busy secure web or VPN servers use
>orders of magnitude less.
>
>initialization of full disk crypto across an SSD RAID could consume it, but
>that's the only "practical" use case i've encountered so far :)

Not even that, you'd just use it to seed AES-CTR and use that for the
initialisation.  Generator bit-rates seem to be like Javascript engine speeds,
a mostly pointless [0] figure that's provided so you can show that you've
managed to crank your numbers higher than everyone else's, like Benzino
Napaloni and Adenoid Hynkel cranking up their barber chairs.

Peter.

[0] I'm hedging my bets here with "mostly", in practice I think it's closer to
    "entirely pointless".