ianG wrote:
> Skype made their reputation as being free and secure (e2e) telephony.
> The latter was something that many people bought into.  It is now the
> largest telco in the world, by minutes, in no small part because people
> enjoyed both security as well as free calls to their friends.

Yes. A typical luring strategy. First you offer something good and e2e
secure (even confirmed by independent auditors), build a huge base of users,
then by "Important Security Updates" you actually remove the luring part
i.e. the e2e security.

> If indeed they have done this, then people like us -- the security
community -- are entitled to report the deception widely.

In the awareness rising I see several options:
1. Indeed these discussions among the security community
2. Eventually some contacts with journalists will help the cause (one live
demonstration on some security/crypto conference like Usenix, Black Hat,
Crypto, ... will do the job).
3. I see a chance for some other product like: Zfone (that never took
significant popularity),maybe Pidgin, maybe Cryptocat, ...
4. Even some open source security plugin for Skype.

Danilo!