>Consider authentication of A to B. If there is nothing distinguishing
(impersonator) Mallory from (honest) A, then anything A can do can also be
done by Mallory.

You still need to know that you want to communicate with someone named
Mallory, which is a piece of information that predates the communication.
That piece of information was communicated thus starting a chain of
infinite regress.

Instead consider the situation in which you want to communicate with
someone that have solved a particular discrete log problem which you have
also solved. You don't care who that person is, just that they solved that
problem (their ability to solve the problem is their identity). That is,
you assume "a priori" that such a person if someone you want to have a chat
with (maybe to ask if you both used the same method or maybe you are
throwing a lavish dinner party for discrete log problem solvers). It seems
possible to communicate with such a person or group of people without an
earlier secure communication.

If the above scenario seems absurd consider the following practical
situation:

Alice has just found a fast way to factor primes. She may not have been the
first person to do so, in fact Bob has also discovered a method. Alice
wants to communicate with someone,  who turns out to be Bob, that can also
do this so they can work together listening to all of Eve's messages (Alice
listens on even days, Bob listens on odd days). Alice coordinate with Bob
(and other Bobs) without Eve learning what is being said, even if she
actively MITMs (WITM, EITM?) all communication.

Does this contradict the above proof?