>> the only logical way to protect against man in the middle attacks would
>> be perspectives (is that project abandoned?) or some sort of distributed
>> certificate cache checking

<plug>

It would be blockchain-based solution like DNSChain:

https://github.com/okTurtles/dnschain

(Which is very much not abandoned.)

</plug>

>> to protect against man in the middle?
>
> Certs don't defend against *the MITM*, they only defend against _their
> MITM_.  Subtle different, the MITM known as phishing is more or less
> unprotected.

I don't know what you mean by "their MITM".

Certs don't protect against MITM.

Certs encourage Big-Brother MITM because they are intertwined with X.509 PKI:

http://blog.okturtles.com/2014/02/introducing-the-dotdns-metatld/

- Greg

--
Please do not email me anything that you are not comfortable also sharing with
the NSA.