[Disclosure: I work for AgileBits, the makers of 1Password]

On 2015-06-16, at 10:53 AM, John R. Levine <jo...@iecc.com> wrote:

> Are there any password managers that let the user specify where to store a
> remote copy of the passwords (FTP server, scp, Dropbox, whatever) while
> keeping
> the crypto and the master password on the end devices?

With 1Password the answer is technically “yes”, but in practice it is more of
“sort of”.

If you are just using 1Password on desktop machines, then you can sync however
you wish using anything that will look like a filesystem.

But when you need to sync with 1Password on mobile devices the choices are
reduced because 1Password doesn’t get to see a normal filesystem. For “cloud”
based synching, there is Dropbox and iCloud on iOS and Dropbox on Android.

However, there is a local “wifi sync” mechanism that lets you sync between
desktop and mobile over a local wifi network.

> Seems to me that would limit the cloudy trust problem while still addresssing
> the very real problem of a zillion accounts used from multiple devices.

Genuine efficient and reliable sync is hard. We’ve worked so that as much sync
and conflict resolution can happen on fully encrypted data so that the slow
part can be done even when 1Password is locked. But some conflict resolution
has to wait until the user unlocks one password.

At any rate, we never have any of your data in any form whatsoever. Our goal as
been “we can’t lose, use, or abuse” data that we don’t have.

However to make synching work smoothly, we do end up strongly encouraging the
use of Dropbox, but at the same time we’ve designed 1Password with the
expectation that attacks will capture your encrypted data one way or the other,
and that sync services (and your own hard drives) can be compromised.

I should point out that while we get some very nice security properties by not
being a service you log into (your master password is only ever used for
encryption), it does mean that we can’t offer some of the flexibility that
something like LastPass can.

Cheers,

-j