On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Givon Zirkind <givo...@gmx.com> wrote:
> keeping something safe in the cloud inherently requires trusting a third
> party.
> yeah, that says it all.

Right. And third parties cannot protect against the threat posed by
officers of the court/legal jurisdiction.

(Are National Security Letters considered in this threat, or are they
a new threat due to operating outside the law in the US?).

> cloud computing is good for non critical stuff and stuff you want ppl to see
> anyway.  like your web page.  even then, javascript injection jacking your
> page, blah, blah.
> if the cloud is not good for HIPAA, banks, financial institutions, that
> should be a clue.

Studies are showing medical data is less safe in the cloud. See, for
example, "Study: Healthcare Industry Contains Most Cloud Data
Breaches,"
http://talkincloud.com/cloud-computing-security/06152015/study-healthcare-industry-contains-most-cloud-data-breaches.

And remember, Apple moved user Keychains to its iCloud and they were
subsequently breached. Apparently, Apple does not feel its important
enough to ensure it meets its own secure coding standards or properly
QA it. Confer, CVE-2015-1065.

Jeff