CSS is clearly elegant and powerful, and I have little difficulty using it to style elements. And using divs for layout - which I'm new at - works pretty well designing for ONE browser. But trying to make the layout look right for 'all' browsers is driving me nuts (and I suspect I have company).

I've read possibly hundreds of pages of code/hack advice, yet it seems that every fix I make breaks something else, and I often have no way to know if the advice I'm following is truly savvy or not.

Are there any agreed-upon (or widely accepted) fundamentals (conditional comments vs. hacks; the 'best' box-model hack; best source for reliable hacks; top 3 issues to address, when and how to position divs, etc)?

Without knowing or understanding some basics, I get the feeling that I'm building on quicksand, and thinking fondly of tables.