CJ Larson wrote:
"I think the problem posed is that *every* td has the same thing, the
same thing, the same thing, so why should a class have to specified 40
times (number pulled from a hat) to style this one type of td?  Now, if
only one city td needed to be special, a class there would be different.
For example, the city currently displayed on the page or in a little
window would be bolded and made bigger.

However, copy/pasting 'class="city"' 40 times doesn't feel like a good
programming practice, because we already know it's a city.  It's the
same dang thing 40 times.  Making a colgroup for this city *one* time
and being done with it is the intuitive thing to do, but since it
doesn't work...  'problem.'"
Exaaaaactly. You're right about every cell having the same thing. They are
either empty or simply have an 'X' in them (and it is all appropriate content .
. . even in the cases of emptiness).

http://www.gateway.com/dw/video_card.shtml

If you can add styling to a whole row you should be able to add styling to a
whole column and assign semantic meaning to that column (and therefore all of
its associated cells) exactly once.