From http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#edef-LINK

This element defines a link. Unlike A, it may only appear in the HEAD
section of a document, although it may appear any number of times.
Although LINK has no content, it conveys relationship information that
may be rendered by user agents in a variety of ways (e.g., a tool-bar
with a drop-down menu of links).

In other words, you can only link a stylesheet in the head of a
document, not the body.

Likewise <style> blocks can only appear in the <head> element.

Paul Collins wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just wondering if anyone could let me know how to link to an external style
> sheet in the body of the page, using a method that validates and works for
> browsers back to Netscape 6, Opera 7, IE 5.0 on PC, IE 5.2 on Mac?
>
> Would appreciate your help.
> Paul

Futurate's site for the Their Reading Futures project has been nominated
for a prestigious Jodi Mattes accessibility award. This is our second
award nomination this year. See: http://www.futurate.com/?p=132