At 10:58 AM 7/20/2006, you wrote:
>On 7/20/06, Janet Chang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>I tried subbing ems for the percentage and it fixed the width problem on
>>the list of link pages. However, it ended up creating problems on pages
>>where we have a blue box on the right side of the page. The box should stay
>>flush with the left side of the content, but when using ems, it shifts to
>>the right even though the blue box is in a separate "calendar" div not
>>contained in the "content" div:
>>
>>Screenshot of page using ems:
>>http://www3.law.northwestern.edu/registrar/facultyscreenshot_em.png
>>
>>Screenshot of page using %:
>>http://www3.law.northwestern.edu/registrar/facultyscreenshot_percent.png
>>(this is what the page should look like)
>
>Your screenshot of what it should look like is what I see. But you say:
>
>"The box should stay flush with the left side of the content, but when
>using ems, it shifts to the right even though the blue box is in a
>separate "calendar" div not contained in the "content" div:"
>
>I'm confused. If you want the blue box all the way to the right like
>the second listed screenshot, can you float it right?
>
>--
>
>Tom Livingston | Senior Multimedia Artist | Media Logic |
>ph: 518.456.3015x231 | fx: 518.456.4279 | mlinc.com

Sorry, this thing is driving my brain so crazy I'm getting left and right
mixed up. What I meant to say was that the blue box is supposed to stay
flush with the *right* side of the browser window. But when I set width to
ems, it moves over to the left.

I also noticed that when using ems, if I open up my Bookmarks column, the
blue box shifts outside of the entire page. But I just realized it's
probably because the blue box div is separate from the content div and
there's no container div around this whole section. Arrrgghh. Our backend
site structure was pretty poorly designed and it's driving me nuts.

I had our developer move the banner image and the blue box into the content
div (I don't have direct access to those b/c we're using ColdFusion to pull
things dynamically), but then things got really screwy and floats didn't
seem to help, so we moved everything back. And now for some reason the blue
box doesn't want to move back up so that it's aligned w/ the top of the
banner even though I think I reverted all the CSS back to the original.

<Sigh>....I think I may just have to reconcile with the fact that I'm not
really going to be able to fully fix this right now until we can clean up
other parts of our code. Guess that means I go back to concentrating on the
MacArthur site, which at least I have more control over.