Hi Tony

I'm guessing the leftcol div is inside the outer div. I can't figure out
exactly what's going on here, but if you change the CSS for #outer to:

#outer {
  background-color: red; width: 100%; min-height: 400px; height:1px
}

this triggers the containing block behaviour you're looking for. Anyone care
to explain?

Chris