> I've got a scenario where I want to dynamically change the number of
> lines of text that are visible, while it wraps around a float. The
> problem is that, once I make the overflow property of an adjacent
> block "hidden", the float is excluded from the block (i.e., the block
> decreases its width so that the float is no longer inside the block).

Not sure but cant you put the float within the same div as the text,
then overflow: hidden on that maincontainer will cause it to clip text
(unfortunately image too if thats an issue).
It also should contain the elements inside of it (since overflow set
on a parent that contains floats contains them), and then IE contains
it too since the parent has a width/'layout'.

Sample Code:
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>

#float {
        float:right;
        background-color:#DDDDDD;
        height:6.5em;
        width:6.5em;
        margin:5px;
        font-weight:bold;
        text-align:center;
}
#text {
    width: 45%;
        border:2px solid #0000FF;
        line-height:1.25em;
        overflow:hidden;
        height:10em;
}

</head>

aaaa bbbb cccc dddd eeee ffff gggg hhhh iiii jjjj kkkk llll mmmm nnnn
oooo pppp qqqq rrrr ssss tttt uuuu vvvv wwww xxxx yyyy zzzz AAAA BBBB
CCCC DDDD EEEE FFFF GGGG HHHH IIII JJJJ KKKK LLLL MMMM NNNN OOOO PPPP
QQQQ RRRR SSSS TTTT UUUU VVVV WWWW XXXX YYYY ZZZZ aaaa bbbb cccc dddd
eeee ffff gggg hhhh iiii jjjj kkkk llll mmmm nnnn oooo pppp qqqq rrrr
ssss tttt uuuu vvvv wwww xxxx yyyy zzzz AAAA BBBB CCCC DDDD EEEE FFFF