Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:
> Ingo Chao wrote:
>> - content="IE=5" or content="IE=6" throws IE8b1 in quirksmode, even if
>> the document has a standards Doctype.
>
> The real IE5 and IE6 have many differences in their support and
> interpretation of CSS in quirks mode. Does IE8 reflect these differences
> - as the meta-number suggests?

Don't know. My test was rough.

>> So the meta-switch is able to take precedence over the doctype switch
>>  in any case.
>
> Which is what has been indicated from the start, I think. It's just the
> default for "no meta" that has changed.
>
> regards
>     Georg

What was new to me was that the meta is able to trigger quirks mode.
Thats probably not important, but I did not get this from Aaron
Gustafson's beyonddoctype ALA article. Is there any technical paper out
that informs about the meta and header?

For example, I tested (mod_headers module of Apache required) .htaccess
lines like
Header set X-UA-Compatible IE=7
- but I don't even know if the syntax is correct.)

Ingo

--
http://www.satzansatz.de/css.html
http://www.dolphinsback.com