> Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:
>  > Ingo Chao wrote:
>  >> - content="IE=5" or content="IE=6" throws IE8b1 in quirksmode, even if
>  >> the document has a standards Doctype.
>  >
>  > The real IE5 and IE6 have many differences in their support and
>  > interpretation of CSS in quirks mode. Does IE8 reflect these differences
>  > - as the meta-number suggests?

Based on the "Versioning and Internet Explorer Modes" whitepaper,
making the assumption that Microsoft just kept the old IE7 Quirks
mode, it seems like we have four modes: IE7 Quirks (versions<7), IE7
Standards (version=7), IE8 Standards (version <=8) and Best possible
(version=edge), with Best possible being the same as IE8 Standards in
IE8. Copying the table from that whitepaper:

Common Name     New Compatibility Mode Value
Quirks  IE=5
IE7 Standards   IE=7
IE8 Standards   IE=8
Best possible mode      IE=edge