John wrote:
> I have been using CSS for a couple years now, but most of what I've
> done is emulate code I've seen and bang it into the form I need it to
> be.
> Often this works mostly, but then a certain situation or another's
> computer will reveal embarrassing rookie mistakes.
>
> In addition to simply racking up enough keyboard time to know tags
> and how to write good code, I need to find a way to "get"  the sense
> of "Cascading" and what that means..I need to know it in my bones, if
> you know what I mean.
[...]
> Any suggestions on a spot on line with a good explanation of the
> cascading relationship(s)?
>
> thanks for reading this plea!
>
> John

First the cascade in one style sheet start from the bottom and works it
way to the top. The Cascading style sheets (CSS) is.

User style sheet
UA style sheet [1]
Author style sheet

The user style overrules the UA style sheet (defaults) and the UA style
sheet overrules the author style sheet. This is better defined here.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#cascade>

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/conform.html#conformance>

Alan

http://css-class.com/test/