John wrote:
>  I have been using CSS for a couple years now, but most of what I've
>  done is emulate code I've seen and bang it into the form I need it to
>  be.
>  Often this works mostly, but then a certain situation or another's
>  computer will reveal embarrassing rookie mistakes.
>
>  In addition to simply racking up enough keyboard time to know tags
>  and how to write good code, I need to find a way to "get"  the sense
>  of "Cascading" and what that means..I need to know it in my bones, if
>  you know what I mean.
[...]
>  Any suggestions on a spot on line with a good explanation of the
>  cascading relationship(s)?

John:

Simply, I always think of it as a list replacement rules -- the order
makes the difference.

Rule A -- something is green and left justified.
Rule B -- something is red with margin 1em;
Rule C -- something with margin-top 2em;

While "something" will remain left-justified in all circumstances,
the color and margin will depend upon what rule is read in what order.

That's cascading to me.

Cheers,

tedd

--