--- On Fri, 3/13/09, Kathy Wheeler <kat...@home.albury.net.au> wrote:

> Looking at major general news sites, popular public
> blogging etc
> sites, they ALL seem to have fonts set much smaller. This
> being the
> case surely the visually impaired surfer, being otherwise
> perfectly
> normal individuals frequenting popular public news,
> blogging, social
> sites etc, will have already set their font preferences to
> suit those
> sites they frequent.

Kathy, I sympathise: it's difficult to get over the 'small is cool' mindset
that seems to be prevalent nowadays. Even on respectable 'design sites', I very
rarely see body text at my browser's default font size.

I've chosen to design my personal site around the default size, so I hardly use
the font-size CSS property at all - only percentages greater than 100 for
headings, etc. It's very tempting to use a smaller font somewhere, but I'm
holding out for the moment.

My target audience is probably 'better sighted' than the general public, but
I've chosen to go this way to also handle different resolutions which, as
others have pointed out, make font-sizing a very tricky thing.

I don't think browsers help - the general features such as page zoom / text
zoom / minimum font size are pretty poorly implemented, IMO (see
http://www.fiveminuteargument.com/blog/minimum-font-size, for example).
Combined with poorly chosen font sizes, I really sympathise with anyone whose
eyesight is worse than mine.

Having said all that, I don't think we need to be too dogmatic about it. Web
pages are NOT the same as books - I believe there should be more of a visual
identity to a site than just a logo and a couple of images. If browsers did a
better job of handling font-sizing, every web site could easily be readable by
all whilst maintaining a unique look of its own, even in regards to the 'base'
font size.

- Bobby