Ido dekkers wrote:

> the<http://test3.dekkers.net/login.htm> is the problem
>
> what i don't understand is why not use the fix?

I see no problem with the fix in your case, because of the way it is
built up and used.

The simplified selector for Gecko 1.9.1 + suggested by Philippe, will
actually make it even safer against future problems by utilizing
progressive enhancement with (only) a selector that is unlikely to be
removed from or changed in CSS standards and/or browser support.

Generally: it is the unstable nature of new browser versions -
especially beta versions of course, that makes us hesitate to add hacks
that targets them. Only stable browser versions should be hacked at all,
and then only when there's no other, sensible, option.

Your markup - source order - is correct as is, and should rather not be
modified in order to work around a CSS weakness (bug) in a browser.
When compensating for browser bugs it is almost always better to rework
or add something to the stylesheet, than to modify the markup.

Years back we had no choice but to go through and modify both markup and
stylesheets when we encountered especially problematic bugs, but these
days sensible markup should be left as is and all hacks (if any are
needed) should be kept in the stylesheets. Only IE6 still creates a few
exceptions to this "rule".

regards
        Georg
--