I want to rationalise my css so that I am not continually inventing
classes when I want to create a new effect.

Today I have created a 'pullout' class which has a head, image and body.

I don't want to use an H? because I don't know where that element is
going to sit in a document and I don't want to have to undo any styles
set previously.

So I have .thisHead and .thisImg which are not styled explicitly but
within their context, e.g. .pullout .thisHead {}. This means I have to
re-style .thisHead whenever it belongs to a different parent but at
least I don't have to invent a new class name.

So far so good. But now I have a 'comment' class which follows a set
format except its width changes depending whether it is a short or
medium length.

So I tried class="comment wide" but that doesn't work because .wide is
not set explicitly, only within another style. The alternative is to
have a narrowComment class and a wideComment class because a wide class
with a set width means it can only apply to a 'comment' element.

I've used .larger and .smaller in the past but I have to specify the
increment which gives me no flexibility.

It would be simpler if I were dealing with IDs because I could style my
#comment and add a .wide class and then specify the style for #comment
.wide in my style sheet.

But 'Comment' is not an object, its a type.

So, in effect, I'm looking for a sub class. Does this make sense and is
there a logical solution that's portable and not too exotic?
--

Kind Regards

  Chris Price
  Choctaw

chris.pr...@choctaw.co.uk <mailto:chris.pr...@choctaw.co.uk>
www.choctaw.co.uk <http://www.choctaw.co.uk>

Tel. 01524 825 245
Mob. 0777 629 0227

Choctaw Media
Fertile Ground for Websites

Follow me on Twitter <http://twitter.com/choctaw>
Catch up with me on LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/spoonfulofdreams>

 >> Sent on behalf of Choctaw Media Ltd <<

Choctaw Media Limited is a company registered in
England and Wales with company number 04627649

Registered Office: Priory Close, St Mary's Gate,
Lancaster LA1 1XB, United Kingdom.