To address the subject line before getting to the actual problem
described: No. HTML classes (which CSS class selectors select) are not
classes in the sense used in traditional OO programming. They are
classes in the wider sense.

       4: a collection of things sharing a common attribute; "there
          are two classes of detergents" [syn: category, family]
                        -- Wordnet

So throw all thought about OO programming concepts away when thinking
about classes in terms of HTML and CSS.

2009/7/23 Chris Price <chris.pr...@choctaw.co.uk>:
> So I tried class="comment wide" but that doesn't work because .wide is
> not set explicitly, only within another style. The alternative is to
> have a narrowComment class and a wideComment class because a wide class
> with a set width means it can only apply to a 'comment' element.

> It would be simpler if I were dealing with IDs because I could style my
> #comment and add a .wide class and then specify the style for #comment
> .wide in my style sheet.

You can combine multiple classes selectors too:

.comment.wide { }

But support is lacking in IE6.

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk><http://blog.dorward.me.uk>