On 19 June 2010 05:02, Angela French <afre...@sbctc.edu> wrote:
> Well, I'm on my 7th out of 11 languages today, and only Khmer proved to be
> trouble so far.    And yes I am adding the xml:lang attribute to the content
> div . And I specify UTF-8 in the meta tag.

if you are using xml:lang i'm assuming you're serving it up as xml and
no serving it up as html.

As to size issues it is hard to comment with out knowing which
operating system, which browsers (and versions) you are using and
which Khmer fonts you have installed on your computer.

The default windows Khmer fonts tend to have a very small x-height in
comparison to other Khmer fonts, this tends to result in comparatively
small text. My understanding is the small x-height in these fonts is a
design feature. The fonts need to doubt as UI fonts in Windows.

The font-size-adjust is the best way of handling this situation.
Unfortunately very few browsers support it.

The best approach to to work out what audience would be accessing your
Khmer content, and then look at major khmer language sites they'd use
to identify fonts commonly used for Khmer web content.

Maybe some of the KhmerOS fonts.

It is best to specify fonts. Relying on font fall back mechanisms is a
bad idea. Font fall back for some scripts is broken in certain
browsers. Other browsers provide no way for end users to control
default scripts.

--
Andrew Cunningham
Senior Project Manager, Research and Development

andr...@vicnet.net.au
lang.supp...@gmail.com