On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Felix Miata <mrma...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 2010/07/16 06:52 (GMT-0700) Cynthia Page composed:
>
> > This may be off topic, if so please forgive me. I would like to be able
> > change some text sitewide like you can change text formatting sitewide
> with css.
>
> > I keep coming back to this in my mind because with css you can add a link
> to a
> > background image and of course have that image applied to every page on
> your
> > site using you css file.
>
> > Can you so this with text - the most obvious use would be for your menus
> so you
> > can change it once and then the whole site is updated. I know this can be
> done
> > because someone told me a couple years ago - however I had no need for it
> at the
> > time and didn't pursue it. I would also like to be able to update
> paragraphs of
> > info this way.
>
> > Will you please lead me to the correct resources?
>
> The [WD] list is a good place to ask design questions not specifically
> related to CSS.
>
> Maybe an <iframe> is what you're thinking of. One example:
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/auth.html
> --
> "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
> words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)
>
>  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
>
> Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Another way to accomplish this would be to use php pages and includes.

Example:

navigation.php

<?php
echo '<div id="navigation">
<ul>
<li>.....</li>
</ul>
?>

then on each page you wanted to use your navigation bar, you do something
like this:

<h1>Your Site</h1>

<?php include('navigation.php') ?>

Anywhere you include the php file, it will display your navigation.
The downside is that all of your pages have to be "written in" php.
If you just change the extensions to .php from .html then it should
work fine as long as your hosting supports php.

Regards,
Alex Mitchell
http://gumware.com/