* Ghodmode wrote:
>Is it a CSS-Discuss community policy, or the policy of an individual
>who happens to be the list administrator?  I suspect that it's based
>on old practices for reasons that are no longer valid.

Noting that this kind of discussion, even of marked offtopic, is usually
not particularily well-received on the list, I can suggest to consider
what features of "HTML mails" you find essential to talk about practical
use of cascading style sheets and how you would avoid imposing choices
you find appropriate on others. For instance, you would not specify the
font you like because it's likely not installed on other users' systems,
or because they configured the font they prefer to read emails.

You would not use images because they would make messages very big if
they are specified inline or as attachments, or because they could be
used for "tracking" if they are external. You would probably not change
font sizes or colors because people tend to find that annoying and dis-
tracting (you could use them well, but people usually don't). You could
add that "HTML mail" editing interfaces are usually very poor and make
it hard to properly encode, for instance, where you split a quote. The
markup they tend to produce is often rather hideous.

The point there is that if everyone excercises restraint in using "HTML
mails", there isn't much left people could use it for to communite any
better (as opposed to individualize the appearance of mails or whatever
you may have in mind).

On a technical level you create problems with spam filters as spam very
often uses "HTML mail" for various reasons, and problems for the archive
software as it would have to strip all sorts of markup for reasons of
security. I would not read "HTML-only" mails because my client does not
support them, and I've not seen them used sensibly virtually ever in e-
mail discussions (though I see some benefits with "newsletters", in as
much as "newsletters" are good use of e-mail as a medium).

You can find arguments such as these in all sorts of articles on the
subject on the web. In the odd event that you actually need some HTML
feature to communicate better (say you gathered data about practical
use of cascading style sheets and the best way to present it is in form
of a table) and wish to tell the community about it, you always have the
option to make a web page and post a link. And for the little things
like emphasis there are *alternatives available* with plain text.

So, no, this is not based on some individual's personal preference but
rather on the experience with what works and what doesn't of many, and
various issues that arise from "HTML mail" usage as they can be observed
in practise. If you think you can make a convincing argument that "HTML
mails", all things considered, are better, by all means write it up and
post a link; if it is indeed convincing, things are likely to change.

In any case, this isn't the right place to make such an argument as it
is not specific to this particular list (you can make the same argument
for any HTML or webdesign or related list).
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjo...@hoehrmann.de · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de