On Wednesday, July 20, 2011, 12:59:45 AM, Ghodmode wrote:

> There aren't any contemporary email applications that can't handle HTML.  Is
> anyone using one?
---

Er.. I am. At least, I'm using an email client that doesn't by default
render HTML (it also doesn't retrieve external resources such as
linked images and stylesheets). Instead it displays the text
alternative and provides the HTML as an attachment that I can open in
a browser should I wish to (which I won't except from trusted sources
- and that doesn't include mailing lists). If you send HTML only
without the plain text alternative then all I see is a blank page.

Since almost all HTML messages contain both the HTML and also a plain
text alternative, every character of HTML is bloat and so most HTML
messages are more than twice the size they need to be.

FWIW, I connect via GPRS (which is what my mobile broadband service
falls back to when 3G isn't available) when 'out of office' and even
when I have ~1Mb/s MBB available I pay for it at the rate of almost
$25US per GB.

So while I probably wouldn't leave the list if it allowed HTML, I hope
you can understand why I wouldn't exactly rejoice!

--
Geoff