On Dec 13, 2011, at 2:25 PM, David Odefey wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback.  I was hoping there was a solution that allowed me
> to keep both my percentage based widths as well as the static width
> borders.

You could float your sidebar to the right and set its margin-left to 0, that
would fix your issue across multiple browsers, without you having to change any
of your calculations.

> If I can't find a way to do this I am planning on reducing one of
> the widths a bit.  I wish there was a way to do something like
> .selector {
>    width: 61%-4px;
> }

width: calc(61%-4px);

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/#calc
(IE 9 and Firefox only atm)

> A few things I'm curious about is why does Chrome render how i want, and
> why is the total width in FF 100%+1px, not 100%+4px? (4 1px borders)

It depends on the way browsers round off fractions of a pixel (px).

your width may compute to 500.5px; some browser will round that up, some will
round that down. In addition, browsers vary slightly on how the position the
border in that case (in order to keep said border crisp - if the border is
position over 2 adjacent pixels, it would look blurred)

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/