Georg, I'm intrigued by your example and have wanted that behaviour several
times in the past and couldn't figure a way to achieve it without fixed height
divs.

But from your test page there's a bit of css that I don't understand:

.floating {
        float-:left;
        width:140px;
        margin:1em .5em 0 0;
        border:1px dashed #ccc;
        display: inline-block;
        vertical-align: top;
}

In your float declaration, if one removes the hyphen after the word 'float' the
page ceases to behave in the desired way.

On the other hand, if 'float-' is a mistype (and doesn't exist as a
declaration) then there is no float declaration and the whole thing depends on
display: inline-block;

Is that right?

I wonder how far back inline-block is supported. When you say 'obsolete
browsers', are you referring to IE6 and IE7?

Peter