On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Micky Hulse <mickyhulse.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm in a situation where I would like to use @media all { ... } and
> @media screen { ... } around blocks of CSS in a large collection of
> style sheets.
>
> Test page using @media all { ... }:
>
> <http://jsbin.com/alugiv/1>
>
> Test page using @media screen { ... }:
>
> <http://jsbin.com/alugiv/2>
>
> I've tested in IE6-8 and it appears that those browsers ignore the
> media queries (or, they follow the rules) and load all styles found
> within the MQ blocks (and, the cascade does not appear to be
> affected).
>
> Question: My test page is simple, so maybe I'm missing something
> obvious (or some sort of corner case) ... Is what I'm seeing actually
> true? Do old IEs not mind @media screen/all { ... } syntax?
>
> Where would I go to find official docs that state weather or not this
> is the case? I'd like to use this on a production site, but I kinda
> want to confirm that what I'm seeing in my tests is really going to
> work for me via a live site. :)
>
> Can anyone confirm or shed light on official documentation somewhere?
>
> Thanks!

What I do is to repeat my styles, without MQs, inside a conditional
for old IE. This allows the cascade to render a desktop-only layout
for old IE. A bit low-fi maybe, but works well for me and have had no
issues other than the usual fixes needed for old IE regardless of MQs.

--

Tom Livingston | Senior Front-End Developer | Media Logic |
ph: 518.456.3015x231 | fx: 518.456.4279 | mlinc.com