Le 23 mai 2013 à 07:51, Micky Hulse <mickyhulse.li...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> To summarize, and not to sound like a broken record, I'm just wanting
> to know why IE 6 - 8 appear to "ignore" (maybe "read" is a better
> term) "argumentless" @media all { ... } and @media screen { ... } and
> load ALL styles.

….
> What I want to know is WHY does IE 6-8 load all styles?

….

(later)
> I.e. these are equivalent:
>
> @media all { … }
> @media { … }
>
> ]]
>
> IE8 will load the styles within the first ... the ladder is a no go.
> IE6-8 like the first (in that all the styles within said query appear
> to get applied to the page).

Contrary to what has been said, IE 7 & 8 (and 6 I think, but it has been a
while since I checked thoroughly) really support basic media queries of the type

@media screen { ….. }
@media all { …. }
@media screen, print { …. }

That is, media queries as described in CSS 2.1:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/media.html

But this is not supported:
@media { …. }

for the obvious reason: it is invalid per CSS 2.1.

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com