Den 15.04.2014 18:35, John wrote:
I've heard and read that browsers **LOVE** long decimals. The exact phrasing is, "they eat it
for breakfast" so feel free to use values like 4.23513547898465441235764687415354% and the
browsers will "know what to do."

With that level of precision, would rounding errors be in the neighborhood of a
billionth of a pixel?

Nope. Rounding errors will always be +/- 1px of what resolution each screen has, and each browser can handle.

Screen resolution varies, how browsers adjust to various resolutions varies, and browsers are not in perfect agreement on when to round up or down.

For "long decimals" ... browsers cut the number where they find it to be "long enough", and there isn't perfect agreement between browsers on how long "long enough" actually is for the various units. So you may as well limit yourself to a few hundreds of a pixel ;-)

question 2: am I trying to do what I want to do, the wrong way? if so, what is
a better way?

There's always a different way, but whether or not one way is better than another depends on what the entire design is supposed to look like, and what browsers (how old versions) you want to support.

Need more info than that you want to divide a width in 3 equally wide containers. Only then can we suggest "good", "better", and maybe even "best" way to do it.

regards
        Georg