Hey Tom,
I would take any styling off of the hover states of your links so they are
blank on hover
and then create a class from that hover state you previously had
and with a jQuery helper function, add and remove the class if it is mobile.

I wrote up a quick example that works, or it works on my iPhone5 anyway.
Don't have an Android device or tablet of any kind atm.
View the source for the code.

http://designdrumm.com/NoHoverOnMobile.html

Best,

Karl DeSaulniers