> On Jan 30, 2016, at 13:00, Karl DeSaulniers <k...@designdrumm.com> wrote:
>
>  however I was told to split
> the css files up so there was less code to load and less load time.

Oh, no, I don’t think so, particularly as you load all stylesheets for
everybody.

You could eventually split them up based on media queries, but otherwise there
is little or no benefit.
e.g. <link rel="stylesheet" media="(max-width: 800px)" href="example.css" />

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/Media_Queries/Using_media_queries

Something more you can do: minify your stylesheet(s). The browser/end user
doesn’t need all your comments… And it does make a difference. I have a project
under development, the stylesheet is about 135Kb; minified it is reduced to
75Kb, and then Gzip will bring it down to something like 40Kb. That applies to
JS feels as well, btw.

I use https://github.com/jakubpawlowicz/clean-css for that.
There is an online version here:  http://gpbmike.github.io/refresh-sf/

Philippe