On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 08:47:38PM -0700, Marc Fournier wrote:

> Am working on using csync2 to backup remote servers to a central server … am
> using csync2 mainly because of the efficient way that it uses a local
> database to minimize the network traffic, as well as load on the ‘backup file
> system’
>
> now, I have a file that I’m trying to send across that is ~700M, and am
> gettign a ‘remote closed connection’ before it finishes … doing a bit of a
> search on the remote server, I’m finding tht /tmp is filling up fast, but
> there are no files in there that is growing, so figure its doing something
> that isn’t “visible” on that file system … and /var/log/messages verifies
> that:
>
> kernel: pid 23073 (csync2), uid 0 inumber 33 on /tmp: filesystem full
>
> Now, reading the docs, I see that there is a tempdir setting, but its
> recommended not to use it, and it states that it creates temp files in the
> order of ‘tempdir, same directory as currently processed file, directory
> given by TMPDIR variable, etc’ …
>
> so first question is, why is it creating it in /tmp (which, according to the
> docs, is pretty much the *last* think it will try) vs ‘same directory as
> currently processed file’ (that directory has 480G of disk space available) …
>
> I can set tempdir to the same file system as the final file will be put, but
> from what I’m reading, I shouldn’t need to …
>
> please advise …

Use recent versions of csync2 (2.0).

That no longer uses /tmp/, or at least only uses it as fallback,
but tries to create temp files next to the original (similar to rsync).

See also the section on "tempdir" (which you should not use) in
http://oss.linbit.com/csync2/paper.pdf

--
: Lars Ellenberg
: http://www.LINBIT.com | Your Way to High Availability